Monday, April 13, 2009

Buenos Aires vs Ohio

Things here that a just a bit different:

Milk is sold in bags

You can't find pepper in this place. Contrary to popular belief, not all South Americans like spicy food. Here, seasoned = salt (and it's really fine salt...salt dust.)

You won't find anyone on the dance floor until 2am at the earliest. Until then they are all just sitting there listening to the music.

You will see a couple making out somewhere in public at least once a day. Not just a kiss, a full on make out. At first I was grossed out, and now I have a whole new appreciation for the PDA.

There are ice cream shops everywhere. I mean it, many times within a block of one another.

Peoples pets are not generally spayed or neutered.

The preferred PorteƱo drink is Fernet and Coke.

When you go to a bar you buy beer by the liter.

The kids often come home from school for lunch.

These people eat a lot of pizza.

We can smoke cigarettes at school.

You have to close elevator doors manually.

The breakfast of choice is medialunas (like a croissant but a little sweet)and cafe con leche. Runner up, toast with butter and marmalade.


The weirdest part is that I had gotten the idea for this blog a couple of months ago, but it got pushed aside for other topics. Now, as I write this a month before I leave, I am having a hard time remembering what these things were. They just aren't that different to me anymore.

I know I've got some more of these. I will update this blog when I can remember them.

Check back tomorrow, I think I'll have the a new blog up by bedtime.

No comments:

Post a Comment